FOR FAMILIES OF PEOPLE WHO HAVE AN INTELLECTUAL DISABILITY
To provide respite support to families in South Timiskaming who have a family member with an intellectual disability and is living at home with them.
· To support families in leading a more normal lifestyle, thereby enabling them to maintain their family member with special needs in the home and community.
· To encourage the growth and development of the child/adult with special needs;
· To provide financial support for the payment of services to their selected respite provider;
· To offer families in-home or out-of-home services in order to meet their individual needs
· To allow family members the opportunity to have a break from the constant specialized care required by the individual with special needs
WHO CAN FAMILIES HIRE TO PROVIDE RESPITE CARE?
· Skilled care providers
· Families must recruit their own providers
· Providers are not considered to be employees of Community Living Temiskaming South
WHERE CAN RESPITE BE PROVIDED?
· In the family home
· In another home setting (possibly the workers)
· In a community location
· In an apartment operated by Community Living (some restrictions may apply)
WHEN CAN RESPITE BE PROVIDED?
Care is delivered based on the family’s needs and can be
· By the day
· On weekends
· Weeks or several weeks
· Families are expected to stay within the guidelines stated in their agreement of allocated funding.
· Families are responsible for submitting an invoice which may be mailed, faxed or hand delivered.
· Payments are normally made within a week after receipt of the invoice
· Quarterly reviews of funding are undertaken by Community Living to ensure a balanced budget and equitable distribution of available funding
· Funding amounts are subject to change depending on available funding and the number of families enrolled
· A respite apartment is available for individuals who are 15 years or older
· Is available on a first come first served basis except in the case of emergency
· Staffing is provided by Community Living through its existing staff complement
· Availability is dependent on available staffing and families are asked to book well in advance for scheduling purposes
· Maximum usage is 20 days per year
· Families using the respite apartment for more than 5 days per year will be ineligible for direct care funding
· Families who book on a regular basis may be required to change a pre-arranged date in order to accommodate another family undergoing a crisis/ emergency situation
· Families must cover a nominal charge to cover food costs ($21.00 per day)